US Paid Reward to Lockerbie Witness, Abdelbaset al-Megrahi Papers Claim

October 8, 2009 by  


Abdelbaset al-Megrahi’s documents would have formed part of an appeal against his conviction for the Lockerbie bombing. Photograph: Danny Lawson/PA
Two key figures in the conviction of the Lockerbie bomber were secretly given rewards of up to $3m (£1.9m) in a deal discussed by Scottish detectives and the US government, according to legal papers released today.

The claims about the payments were revealed in a dossier of evidence that was intended to be used in an appeal by Abdelbaset al-Megrahi, the Libyan convicted of murdering 270 people in the bombing of Pan Am flight 103 in 1988.

Megrahi abandoned his appeal last month after the Libyan and Scottish governments struck a deal to free him on compassionate grounds because he is terminally ill with prostate cancer. Now in hospital in Tripoli, Megrahi said he wanted the public to see the evidence which he claims would have cleared him.

“I continue to protest my innocence – how could I fail to do so?,” he said. “I have no desire to add to the upset of many people I know are profoundly affected by what happened in Lockerbie. My intention is only for the truth to be made known.”

The documents published online by Megrahi’s lawyers today show that the US Department of Justice (DoJ) was asked to pay $2m to Tony Gauci, the Maltese shopkeeper who gave crucial evidence at the trial suggesting that Megrahi had bought clothes later used in the suitcase that allegedly held the Lockerbie bomb.

The DoJ was also asked to pay a further $1m to his brother, Paul Gauci, who did not give evidence but played a major role in identifying the clothing and in “maintaining the resolve of his brother”. The DoJ said their rewards could be increased and that the brothers were also eligible for the US witness protection programme, according to the documents.

The previously secret payments were uncovered by the Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission (SCCRC), which returned Megrahi’s conviction to the court of appeal in 2007 as a suspected miscarriage of justice. Many references were in private diaries kept by the detectives involved, Megrahi’s lawyers said, but not their official notebooks.

The SCCRC was unable to establish exactly how much the brothers received under the DoJ’s “reward-for-justice” programme but found it was after Megrahi’s trial and his first appeal in 1992 was thrown out.

A memo written by “DI Dalgleish” to “ACC Graham” in 2007 confirms the men received “substantial payments from the American authorities”.

The inspector claims the rewards were “engineered” after Megrahi’s trial and appeal were over, but said there was “a real danger that if [the] SCCRC’s statement of reasons is leaked to the media, Anthony Gauci could be portrayed as having given flawed evidence for financial reward.” Instead, he claimed, the reward was intended to ensure the Gaucis could afford to leave Malta and start new lives “to avoid media and other unwanted attention”.

However, the documents disclose that in 1989 the FBI told Dumfries and Galloway police that they wanted to offer Gauci “unlimited money” and $10,000 immediately. Gauci began talking of a possible reward in meetings with Dumfries and Galloway detectives in 1991, when a reward application was first made to the DoJ.

The evidence, which was due to be heard by the appeal court next month, also discloses that Gauci was visited 50 times by Scottish detectives before the trial and new testimony contradicting the prosecution’s claims that Megrahi bought the clothes on 7 December 1988 – the only day he was in Malta during the critical period.

In 23 police interviews, Gauci gave contradictory evidence about who he believed bought the clothes, the person’s age, appearance and the date of purchase. Two identification experts hired by Megrahi’s appeal team said the police and prosecution breached the rules on witness interviews, using “suggestive” lines of questioning and allowing “irregular” identification line-ups.

Two new witnesses also disproved the prosecution claim that Megrahi was in Gauci’s shop on 7 December, his lawyers said. Gauci said the area’s Christmas lights were not on when the clothes were bought. The current Maltese high commissioner to the UK, Michael Rufalo, then the local MP, told the SCCRC the lights were switched on on 6 December, raising further inconsistencies in the prosecution case.

It has also emerged that Scottish police did not tell Megrahi’s lawyers that another witness, David Wright, had seen two different Libyan men buying very similar clothes on a different day; evidence that psychologists believe may have confused Gauci and again clouded the prosecution case.

Dumfries and Galloway police said only a court could properly consider this material, and supported previous criticism of Megrahi’s decision to release his appeal papers by Elish Angiolini, the lord advocate. “We will not be taking part in any discussion or debate concerning the selective publications made by Mr Megrahi,” a statement said.

“We have nothing more to add other than to echo the lord advocate’s recent comments pointing out that Mr Megrahi was convicted unanimously by three senior judges and his conviction was upheld unanimously by five judges, in an appeal court presided over by the lord justice general, Scotland’s most senior judge. Mr Megrahi remains convicted of the worst terrorist atrocity in UK history.”

A spokesman for the US Department of Justice also refused to comment, since Megrahi had voluntarily withdrawn his appeal. He said: “None of the allegations in the SCCRC referral, or the grounds of appeal filed by Megrahi, were finally adjudicated by the Scottish High Court of Justiary (the appropriate judicial forum) because Megrahi withdrew his appeal before the court could rule. Consequently, the U.S. Department of Justice will not comment further on his aborted appeal.”

11-42

Comments

2 Responses to “US Paid Reward to Lockerbie Witness, Abdelbaset al-Megrahi Papers Claim”

  1. Sir Daniel M.J. Tobin on April 5th, 2010 10:19 am

    It is entirely possible that Iran was involved in paying for and providing planning for bombing my brother Mar Lawrence Christopher Tobin’s plane, Pan Am Flight #103. All who read this should pray that the United States Department of State will be able to prosecute threats of terrorism promptly since it came out in court that the Dep. knew of the threat on Pan Am Flight #103 and told personnel not to take that flight home, Pan Am airlines itself was guilty of negligence since it was cited for lax security and cut the price of tickets for passengers to fill the plane on December 21,1988, and Libyan dictator “colonel” Muammar gaddaffi has sent tens of thousands to death over 40 years in dictatorship, has jailed dissenters, ordered abductions and assassinations abroad, ordered plane bombings and hijackings, and has suppressed the freedoms of speech, the press, and right to peaceful assembly of the Libyan National population, and should be taken into custody to answer for war crimes, and imprisoned for life. Gaddaffi has disgraced the Ummah, and Moslems everywhere should be ashamed of his crimes. Hopefully Iran will also answer for their support of terrorism, and readers will boycott and or divest from Exxon-Mobil, Amerada-Hess, BP, Royal Dutch Shell, Occidental Petroleum, and Marathon Oil, because they are the firms that want to do business with the War Criminal Gaddaffi of Libya. Insha Allah, Sir Daniel M.J. Tobin, Nassau County Executive Committee Chairman to The Constitution Party, and candidate for US Congress, 4th federal district NY State,Please make contributions made payable to:Dan Tobin for Congress, 115 Atlantic Ave Apt 2A,Hempstead,NY 11550-1204

  2. Actually Paying attention on August 20th, 2010 8:34 pm

    Why would the Obama administration ‘investigate’ the bribe to let Megrahi out? They (the U.S. Government), paid rats to lie about the case from the beginning! They also bankrolled Mr. Posada for blowing a Cubana airliner out of the sky in 1976 and he walks the streets of Miami with the rest of the terrorists paid, trained and directed by the U.S. Government. This is how imperialism works. OOPS! I said a word that is supposed to be obsolete. Please, please, please…..go back to your daily routines everyone and if you ever get the guts to study some real history instead of histrionics (sells more papers!), just forget it and feign ignorance and the authorities may leave you alone! Bunch of ignorant sheep.

Feel free to leave a comment...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!