German Football Club Builds Mosque For Players
May 23, 2013 by TMO
Germanyâ€™s biggest and best football club, Bayern Munich, have made plans to build a masjid for their Muslim players and fans. The plan was triggered by a request from one of its most prominent players, and one of the best Muslim footballers in the world, Franck Ribery. The masjid would be build inside the soccer stadium, Allianz Arena, and would have a full time Imam and an Islamic library. The club will finance 85 percent of the costs of the masjid, leaving 15% to Muslim players and fans who want to participate.
Bayern is not the first European club to build a mosque for its Muslim players after New Castle United specified a prayer room for Muslim players. Other Muslim footballers on the Bayern squad include German-Turkish midfielder Emre Can, and Albanian-Swiss midfielder Xherdan Shaqiri. Bayern is set to take on German Bundesliga rivals Borrusia Dortmund in the finals of the European Champions League on May 25th in Wembley Stadium in London. Bayern lost in the finals last year.